The scorching summer has officially set in with the stifling heat waves causing record-breaking temperature in the country. This consistently rising trend of the mercury levels is making the denizens hunt for ways to deal with the miserable spell of harsh summer. Today, we shall give you our two cents on this burning (literally!) topic.
- HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE! Might we point out the obvious? Well, the easiest trick for beating the heat is guzzling loads and loads of water throughout the day. An adequate water intake is crucial to keep the body cool and replenish the amount of fluid one loses due to perspiration. You can also throw in a few ice cubes for a refreshing effect!
However, drinking plain water can be quite a challenge. But the good news is that you need not rely only on it! One can turn to hydrating fruits like watermelon, apple, pineapple, oranges, papaya, blueberries, etc., which are loaded with vitamins and nutrients as well. Also avoid caffeine, alcohol and sugary beverages as they make you dehydrated!
- KNOW YOUR BODY: Weird as it may sound, applying ice or cold compress on pulse points like wrist, back of neck, inside of elbow/knees/ankles, tops of feet, temple, etc., can cool your body! The science behind this is that blood vessels are close to the surface of skin at pulse points which means that when we sprinkle cold water on these areas, the temperature of the blood & body lowers with ease! So if you wish to ward off the heat, you must keep ice cubes, wet towels/ bandanas, spray bottles etc., handy!
- KEEP YOUR HOME COOL:
- Window practices: Close your curtains in daytime especially during the peak sunlight hours to limit the unnecessary heat gain. You can capitalize on the cooler hours during the night by hanging a wet sheet in front of the window!
- Go Low-Tech: Electrical appliances generate imperceptible amount of heat. To prevent your house from heating from within, you must switch off all the appliances that you are not actively using! Say no to ovens, take advantage of this natural light and go low tech! Also, don’t forget to unplug them because turned off electronic devices which are in standby mode still consume small amounts of electricity (known as “phantom loads”) and give off heat! This way you can do your bit in saving the planet as well!
- Build your own AC: Changing the thermostat settings on the repressively hot days may be an easy way out but sadly it is neither eco nor pocket friendly. Fortunately, there is a hack that can help you survive the unforgiving heatwave without leaving huge carbon footprints. All you need to do is place a bowl of ice in front of a fan (our ultimate summer buddy!) & voila! you have a AC! As soon as you turn it on, the fan shall blow the evaporating cold air (off of the ice cubes) across the room!
- DON’T LET THE HEAT GET YOU DOWN: Last but not the least, don’t the weather dampen your spirits! Take matters in your own hands and adopt some fun tactics. For instance:
- Scream for ice-cream or better yet, make your own frozen treats and kick the heat in the curb with delicious delights!
- Hit the swimming pool, dunk your feet in the kiddie pool or start a balloon fight to cool off and make the most of the summertime!
- Catch a movie or go on a shopping spree at air conditioned multiplexes and malls to escape the oppressive heat!
Good luck battling the downsides of this otherwise pleasant weather!